Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Where can I get Mod 19 replacement XO's ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member v847's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2003
    Posts
    32
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Where can I get Mod 19 replacement XO's ?

    Hello all,
    I have kinda followed this for a few years now and had thought about getting the replacements from Iconinc but that just doesn't really "fit" with me due to cost.
    Does GPA make a replacement, or will they repair/update?
    I am not electronically savvy at all, so I am in need of a true turn key system.
    I would like to keep them as original as possible, no complaints about the old ones except for there age and fear of damage that may result.
    It seems like these are way too hard to obtain for a decent cost, there seem to be schematics and I would think it would be just that easy to duplicate other than having to use modern equivelents for the various components. Also, is it a matter of because a certain capacitor or resistor or whatever is no longer available the "Original" sound is unobtainable?
    Please let me know,
    Thank you.
    V

  2. #2
    Inactive Member robertbartsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 21st, 2009
    Posts
    166
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Where can I get Mod 19 replacement XO's ?

    The issue with old crossovers is that capacitor values change after a couple of decades and pots (controls) become scratchy.

    A common rehab involves replacing the caps with new components and cleaning or replacing the pots, if necessary.

    Your local TV repair shop may be able to help recondition these if you are not good cutting and soldering in new electronic components.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member v847's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2003
    Posts
    32
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Where can I get Mod 19 replacement XO's ?

    Thank you for the reply, I guess I am wondering why either the complete rebuild or the components are not available through GPA.
    It just seems that it would be something they would offer..
    It would be nice as a package of two each of all the caps you would need and a little instruction sheet on wich ones go where.
    Just an idea...
    Any thoughts...
    Thank you again,
    V

  4. #4
    Inactive Member v847's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2003
    Posts
    32
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Where can I get Mod 19 replacement XO's ?

    Bump...
    Anybody else??
    V

  5. #5
    HB Super Moderator
    Where can I get Mod 19 replacement XO's ?


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Where can I get Mod 19 replacement XO's ?

    Quote Originally Posted by v847 View Post
    Thank you for the reply, I guess I am wondering why either the complete rebuild or the components are not available through GPA.
    It just seems that it would be something they would offer..
    It would be nice as a package of two each of all the caps you would need and a little instruction sheet on wich ones go where.
    Just an idea...
    Any thoughts...
    Thank you again,
    V
    When I asked Steve about it he said it is just a simple circuit that they weren't going to bother with.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Where can I get Mod 19 replacement XO's ?

    Do you have the originals?
    I haven't seen the orig caps change all that much. But you have to have a good cap meter to check them out of circuit.
    The only l-pads I've seen bad are ones that were way over powered, and never seen a bad one on an M19 unit. They were home speakers, and if constantly over powered, the original owner is deaf now.
    I also like the ability to adjust the mids and highs. when Iconic or GPA removes them you are forced to live with what they think is best. We don't all hear the same.
    I like the stockers so much, I've bought more than a few on Ebay for cheap. The N1201-8A is the same. The N1209 is not the same.

    As for replacement caps, well, your ears will tell you, but you can spend a ton of money finding ones you like. The stockers sound quite good to my ears.
    The same applies to the late model Duplex crossovers. Similar design.

    BTW, the orig Altec L-pads were of excellent design. And unique.

    ron

  7. #7
    HB Super Moderator
    Where can I get Mod 19 replacement XO's ?


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Where can I get Mod 19 replacement XO's ?

    You can replace with Solens they sound good and don't cost alot either.Boutique caps are just that boutique, way overpriced for the amount of differance you can hear if at all. Good Luck in your adventure

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.